Monday, January 16, 2012

Fighting an Uphill Battle...

Wow, the term has started and is in full swing. I'm trying to keep up but I have this feeling I left my mind and my heart in 2011.

Trench in Anna Regina
I'm struggling to get through to one of my classes; I feel my blood pressure rise every time I am in that classroom. Now don't get me wrong, the majority of that class are great, but there are around 5 individuals that ruin science class for everyone. An overall lack of respect force me to raise my voice and give impromptu quizzes. It sucks for the whole class, but I am hoping that the class getting mad will maybe encourage these few students to listen and finally stop talking. I have a funny feeling that it isn't going to work. I am afraid that I am going to have to resort to complete and total humiliation. It has always been against my moral code to embarrass a child, but since teaching my ethics have dramatically changed. I have tried positive reenforcement with ice cream, but again, the ones that don't care overpower the ones that do. I'm pretty sure this class is going to cause me permanent internal damage.
Queenstown Sea Wall

I spent the last week detoxing. It was Sarah's idea and I decided to join her. I started last Monday and was supposed to finish on Wednesday. Today I was starting to feel good. My skin is breaking out as that is where all the nastiness emerges but apart from that I was doing good. After a stressful day at school, ending with the class mentioned above and a frustrating phone call I was upset enough to eat a frozen cupcake, some swedish fish candies and a bottle of coke. Now I'm deeply craving some good fried chicken.

Guyana has been good for my body. I appear to have lost 2 dress sizes. It was weird seeing myself in a mirror over Christmas break as we didn't have a full mirror in our house. In fact, my fist is bigger than our bathroom mirror. Anywho, I am very satisfied with the way I look, and the continuous comments I get from my fellow teachers about my coca cola bottle shape. I look good from the back. LOL

Anna Regina path to the Sea Wall
In closing I would like to state that I am trying not to let my frustrations get to me. There are people that I don't see eye to eye with and don't always understand. I guess it is the cultural difference that is coming in. No matter what happens, I am not going to let frustrations ruin my time in Guyana, or give Guyana a bad name in my heart.

Goodnight and peace out.



No comments:

Post a Comment